Monday, April 26, 2010

Reading List update and "book reports"

I've been a little behind on updating against the reading list I posted several months ago. It's not that I haven't been reading...just haven't been in much of a mood in the evenings to stay on the computer and keep up with my blog. I have read a couple more books on my list and have read another that's NOT on the list. So here are my thoughts on the latest books I've read:

The Color Purple by Alice Walker
This was a wonderful book. Many portions were very close, if not exactly like the movie, with other parts being very different. Isn't that to be expected though? The book explored the relationship between Celie and Shug MUCH more than the movie ever did, which was good for the book but there were some parts that I thought were overdone. My favorite difference between the book and the movie is the process of reconciliation between Albert and Celie. The movie interpretation shows the reconciliation as being sudden, as soon as Celie's kids come home. In the book, its a slower, more realistic, and much more touching and personal account of the reconciliation. I definitely appreciate how the book handles this better. All in all a fabulous book that I would highly recommend!

Captivating: Unveiliing the Mystery of a Woman's Soul by John & Stasi Eldridge
I have to thank my dear friend Dirkey for giving me this book. After 3 years, I have finally gotten around to finishing this book. Although there are a few portions which I think go to a bit of an extreme, my overall impression of the book was uplifting, inspiring, and encouraging to me as a woman. It also gave a bit of a look into the heart, mind and soul of a man which, in the first year of marriage, I found quite helpful. On a more personal level, this book really spoke to my heart and soul when I was going through some rough patches in my life in the past year. This is a book I could see myself reading again and possibly giving it as a gift to others. Two thumbs up!

Anne of Green Gables by L. M. Montgomery
This one wasn't on the list; however, ever since I saw the movie series, I've wanted to read the books. So, a couple months ago, when I saw the series on a stand in a bookstore...I just had to pick them up. I started reading the 1st book of the series almost immediately. I am very impressed with how well the folks that made the movie stayed true to the story and character of the book. This is a rare event. But what I appreciated even more in reading the book was really getting into the mind, heart and character of Anne. She is such a precious little soul and her metamorphosis is obviously impressive. A book can always capture more of the actual character, so reading this was priceless. In reading this, I decided it would be a great book to let my 10 year old cousin borrow so, when I see her on Wednesday, I'll be passing the torch.

So, with those books crossed off the list, here's an updated list (new books added):
1. Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray
2. Fair Game by Valerie Plame Wilson
3. Patty Jane's House of Curl by Lorna Landvik
4. Emma by Jane Austin
5. The Flight of the Romanovs by John Curtis Perry & Constantine Pleshakov
6. Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson
7. Me: Stories of My Life by Katherine Hepburn
8. The Dive from Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer
9. Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier
10. The Nancy Diaries by Emma McLaughlin & Nicola Klaus
11. Shindler's List by Thomas Keneally
12. A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah
13. Anne of Avonlea by L. M. Montgomery
14. Have a Little Faith: a true story by Mitch Albom
15. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver (recommended by my mom)

As always, I welcome recommendations for more reading. HAPPY READING!!!

No comments: